How to Open Wechat Wallet in Hong Kong and China
Living in Hong Kong and China without WeChat Pay is like living without cash or credit card.
Functions of WeChat payment and APPs:
1.Now in almost every mall, fruit shop, community supermarket or restaurant in Hong Kong and China, the owner will have a QR code to collect the money.
Nowadays, Wechat has become an indispensable part of our daily life for those living in China. And Wechat Wallet is one of the most popular and practical function. This is because you can receive, transfer and pay money through this digital wallet. Besides, you will absolutely find it interesting when you receive red packets from your friends.
WeChat enables you to pay in shops, receive & transfer money, but you will have to activate your WeChat Wallet and link it with your Chinese Debit or Credit Card.
As a Shanghai new comer, you might need some guidance to this and here we are to help you.
The following procedure will cover the whole process from WeChat account creation until WeChat Wallet activation.For those who already have a WeChat account, please go directly to Step 6 to activate your WeChat Wallet.
First of all you need to have the below items and Requirement for setting up wechat account in HK or China:
- WeChat account
- A Chinese or HongKong bank card
- Smart Phone that linked with your bank card
Survey shows only 33% of users prefer to pay via credit card or cash over WeChat Pay.
Steps for Setting up Wechat Wallet Hong Kong or China
Living in China, WeChat is definitely the must have App, allowing to do pretty much everything. Instant message (written or vocal), vocal & video calling, digital payment, money transfer, utilities bills payment, taxi booking are some of the essential perks this App will offer you.
Step 1 – Get a Hong Kong Sim Card or China Simcard to create Wechat or Weixin Account
Step 2 – Download Wechat from Apps Store or Playstore
– Download the WeChat App on your phone.You need to download the App: WeChat in your phone.
Step 3 – Sign up Wechat Account with Valid Phone Number
– Open the App and follow the instructions below :
– Click on “More Options”.
– Click on “Sign Up”.
– Put your Phone Number.
– Choose a 6 digits password.
Step 4 – Confirm Weixin or Wechat Account Setup Details
– Read & agree the terms.
– Start the Security Verification.
– Complete the Security Verification (drag the slider to fit the puzzle).
– You will receive a security code by SMS, once received put it on the App.
– Click on “No, Continue Signing Up”.
– Reenter & confirm your password (6 digits).
Step 5 – Receive Wechat ID number for Signing up Wallet
– Your WeChat account has been created.
– Choose the name that will appear on the App (this can be changed as many time as you want).
– An automatic WeChat ID number will be given to you. You can change this WeChat ID to one that will be more convenient for you.
Careful : This WeChat ID can be changed ONLY ONCE.
Step 6 – Inset Hong Kong or China credit or debit card in Wechat account
From here the process is virtually the same. You’ll need a mainland bank account connected to your passport. When you link your bank card to WeChat Pay, you are also confirming your identity. Tap “add a card” from the WeChat Wallet section or from the popup that you get when you try to accept your friend’s money transfer.
Enter in the relevant information. Select Passport as your ID type, if you are a foreign passport holder. Make sure that the information that you enter is exact as it is written in your bank account. This may mean that you need to use capital letters for your name.- Click on “ME” panel.
– Click on “WeChat Pay”.
– Click on “Wallet”.
– Click on “Cards”.
– Click on “Add a card”.
– Enter the 6 digits password you chose before.
– Enter your name as it appears on your bank statement (Chinese banks can mix first name, middle name & family name).
– Enter your Card Number.
If you get an error for invalid info, you may need to go to the bank and set it up with their help. Usually, this is due to a typo on your bank records. Finally,select a 6-digit pin payment pin code. This is a code you’ll be using anytime you wish to make a payment with WeChat Pay.
Step 7 – Sign up Wechat Wallet Completion
– Now that your Card has been linked to your WeChat account, you can enjoy all WeChat features.
– Top up your phone credit.
– Pay your utilities fee.
– Book a taxi.
– Order food.
– Pay in shops.
– … and many more!