How Social Media and Growth Hacking Works in Hong Kong and China?
In the post-COVID-19 era, digital transformation is imperative. How should companies better leverage social media for business recovery and growth?
As offline businesses are affected, many companies start to accelerate their digital transformation. According to a survey conducted by Totem Media at the end of March 2020, 84% of the companies surveyed said they would maintain a balance or speed up digital transformation and would pay more attention to the investment in digital media channels (Douyin/short videos, WeChat, Weibo, and other social media are at the top of the list).
In such a situation, which trendy social marketing tactics are worth attention in helping brands better recover and grow business in the post-COVID-19 era?
1. Growth Hacking and Social Media Franchising
Growth hackers and social franchising will be quite useful in a situation where the cost of acquiring users is increasing while users spend a lot more time online under the impact of COVID-19.
2. Private Group Traffic
Generally speaking, there are now two types of applications of private domain group traffic.
The other is cooperating with third-party communities. Nowadays, many WeChat group owners accept brand cooperation. Cooperation forms also vary, such as organizing group purchases, sharing discounts, encouraging repost, and spreading information. Plenty of mature resource partners on the market can also support brands in this field, such as MediaCom’s KCL (Key Community Leader), a DSP-like community resource planning, and a purchasing platform.
3. Entertainment and Sports Marketing Tend to be Socializing
The year 2020 was supposed to be the big year of sports, but the Olympic Games held every four-year was postponed because of COVID-19, and various offline sports events can’t be held on time. However, people’s love of sports has not decreased. On the contrary, because the pandemic leads to the attention to health, people are more aware of the importance of physical fitness. And because of the limitations of offline sports, there is a trend of shifting offline sports events towards digitalization, socialization, and gamification.
For example, the hot “Ring Fit Adventure” game earlier this year (one of Nintendo’s Switch games, which makes use of fitness ring to do exercise) also triggered a trend of home fitness; many sports stars also met with the public via live stream or short videos, such as the famous snooker player Pan Xiaoting, who teaches online fitness classes on Xinhua News Agency app via short videos; Many e-sports events, such as KPL, one of the Chinese well-known e-sports events, have also announced a shift to online competition.
For brands, there are also many opportunities to close the distance with consumers and achieve a win-win situation. For example, many sports-related tags on social media platforms can be used to directionally find people who are interested in sports and accurately disseminate feed ads to them; discover the connection with e-sports events or make use of suitable resources in the business promotion resource package of events; launch the matic marketing campaigns related to a healthy and positive attitude towards life, which not only have social values but also improve users’ preference to brands.
4. The further integration of social, search and e-commerce, in the context of path-to-purchase
At these intersections among areas, many solutions are mature and can be implemented directly.
For example, there are at least three integration approaches between social and search that we can take advantage of.
1) Intelligence exchange: hot and better-converting keywords discovered in search marketing can be used to guide the creation of social marketing topics, and hot topic words found or created in social media can be used to supplement purchased keywords in search;
2) link & traffic redirection: social content supports SEO backlink construction, and social sharing features embedded in search ads can help boost the popularity and interaction of social topics;
3) Social Search: The Search function in social platforms has also introduced several search ads similar to Baidu’s search ads that support purchases. Social media and e-commerce are also closely linked, such as JingTeng plan, U-Wei plan; social functions in e-commerce platforms such as e-commerce live streaming and Weitao private domain traffic management, e-commerce in social platforms such as Mini Programs Store.
Quote from Mr. Henry Ford: “A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops the clock to save time.” It is a little exaggerated, but after careful thinking, we’ll find its deep meaning. Even though under the impact of COVID-19, advertising marketing still has its value, while it’s just the approaches that might need to be adjusted, in which taking advantage of digital transformation and social media is worth trying.